top of page
justice scale (1).jpg

NC Education Lawyer Blog

  • Writer's pictureNC Education Lawyer

Should I File a Grievance Against My Child's School?

Updated: Nov 21, 2022

Are you concerned about your child's education or how a situation is being handled? Have you resolved an issue, but the school failed to stick to the agreement?

Perhaps, your child's right has been violated under the state board of education code, district policy, or the constitution?

You can get a resolution by filing a grievance against the school.

When should I file a grievance?

If you have a concern, you should first give the school a chance to resolve it by contacting the teacher or the appropriate administrator through emails.

This way, you have a written record of your attempts to resolve the issue informally and can use it as evidence when you file a grievance.

If communicating with the school fails, you may consider taking it further by filing a grievance.

What is the school district's grievance policy?

Every school district in North Carolina has a grievance policy that lays out the steps for making a formal complaint.

You can often find the policy online using the district's name and grievance policy or board policy manual. For instance, if your child attends school in Onslow School District, search for "Onslow County District grievance policy."

You can also search for "Onslow County District board of education policy manual" and then navigate to the grievance policy.

How do I file a grievance?

The grievance policy outlines the steps to take. However, the process can be tedious and overwhelming, so it's best to hire an education attorney to help you through it.

You'll usually be required to provide some information, including the nature of the complaint and the specific policy or law you believe has been violated.

After filing the grievance, the school will schedule a conference within a few days, where you'll explain your complaint and back it up with any evidence you have. Having an attorney by your side can help as they'll be able to state your case clearly.

Following the conference, you'll usually receive a response within ten days. If the issue is not resolved, you can file a level two grievance at the superintendent's office. You can also file a grievance appealing the decision to the board of education if you're not satisfied with the superintendent's response.

If you still can’t get a favorable resolution, you may have to seek redress in court. If you’ve not hired an attorney at this point, you should seriously consider doing so to get the best outcome for your child.

Have a complaint against a school employee or school? Speak with an experienced education attorney today.



bottom of page